11.02.2011

Mubarak is gone!

Al Jazeera Live Stream

1625 GMT: Egyptian State TV is showing scenes of the celebrations...and the newsreader is smiling.

1619 GMT: Rawya Regeh recalls the moment from outside the Presidential Palace, where an estimated 10,000 protesters had marched today, when the announcement of Hosni Mubarak's resignation was made: "People were crying, some people fell to their knees, praying immediately on the floor. The tears are everywhere, the smiles, the dances."

Regen continues, "I'm 30 years old....I was born the week President Mubarak assumed power. All my years of life I have known only one President, and I can tell you, I have never seen this sentiment in Egypt."

1611 GMT: The reaction from Tahrir Square in Cairo, "Egypt is free."
1608 GMT: Minutes of nothing but decibel-splitting noise from Tahrir Square --- the feed from Al Jazeera English does not need to offer anything else.

1602 GMT: In a brief announcement, Vice President Omar Suleiman said that, "in these hard times", Hosni Mubarak "waives the office of President" and turns over leadership of Egypt to the High Council of the military.


Enduring America

Keine Kommentare: